Prodfiler

CentOS/RHEL Kernel 3.10.0-1160.el7.x86_64 Support

I fully realize that the documentation states, Linux Kernel 4.15 x86_64. Was curious if we could test the 3.10.0-1160.el7.x86_64 in RHEL/CentOS which includes equivalent eBPF functionality that has been backported by RHEL/CentOS in the most terrible of ways :slight_smile: Its CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core), fwiw.

Hello :slight_smile:

Thanks for your interest :slight_smile: Unfortunately we currently have no (immediate) plan to support the kernel versions with backported BPF support, but it could be in the realm of possibilities. Though there might be a world between “it works” and “it works as expected with negligible performance impact”, so this would require some careful investigation on our side

Note that older distributions also tend to come with older software (like python 2.7, which we don’t currently support).
If anything, we’d probably want to chat a bit more about your use-case if your fleet is running 3.10 only / if 4.15+ only is a dealbreaker for you :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Victor

Our fleet currently runs on latest CentOS/RHEL 7 due to STIGs and other regulatory requirements. Would love to engage in a conversation and/or even just see if its possible that it works out of the box. Happy to be a guinea pig as I know there are others in a similar situation. Am quite familiar with eBPF capabilities across linux distros so happy to have the discussion.

Ah, makes sense. I’m (too) familiar with STIGs and all that comes around that :slight_smile:

I’ve (briefly) tested on the kernel you mentioned on CentOS, and I do not see anything broken (take this with a grain of salt - the “in the most terrible of ways” part of your original message may bite back after more in-depth testing? :slight_smile: ).
Let me check internally, it seems a live discussion would be worthwhile.

That said, if you have regulatory requirements that mandate assessment with STIG benchmarks, I must ask: would you have other regulatory requirements that would prevent you from using our service at the moment? Note that we are currently in the process of getting SOC2 certification.

haha, I despise the RHEL backporting strategy but I know the dollars tied behind doing it that way. We would be able to run it in our testing and commercial fleets. We are mainly excited to see what value it could brings to our deployments, as we love using perf but having something turnkey would allow more people to participate in performance tuning/profiling at a larger scale.

(BTW I haven’t forgotten you :slight_smile: will come back to you asap)

Ok, I just DM’ed you :slight_smile: